NEW WAVES | HE SHUMING: FEMININE/MASCULINE
HE SHUMING: FEMININE/MASCULINE
(In dialogue with Marc Nair)
25 MAY 2016, WED / 8:00PM / 120 MIN
New Waves: Emerging Voices of Southeast Asian Cinema
New Waves shines a spotlight on young filmmakers who are making waves through the archipelago, forming an emerging community within Southeast Asia. Join them in a series of dialogues with Singaporean artists, writers and curators from different disciplines, as they recollect their entrance into cinema, their unique and personal approaches to utilising film as a mode of expression, and its convergence with other art forms and everyday life. Come participate in these open dialogue sessions to find out more about this emerging community of filmmakers in anticipation of the upcoming 27th edition of the Singapore International Film Festival.
(In dialogue with Marc Nair)
Ever since he found his conviction to become a filmmaker after experiencing Lars Von Trier’s Dancer in the Dark, He Shuming enrolled into LASALLE and made a series of short films. He then moved to Los Angeles to further his craft as a filmmaker at the American Film Institute Conservatory, where he made a series of film abroad. Now back in Singapore, He Shuming is working on his first feature. Showing an acute sensibility towards loss and moral dilemmas, Shuming gradually found a calling towards illuminating the female experience, as evident with his constant use of female protagonists in his films. For this session, he will be joined by poet Marc Nair as they describe the junctures and disjuncture between his body of work made at home and abroad, and why he chooses to emphasise femininity in its myriad forms and situations in his work.
Short Film Screenings:
- hoon/Ramlah (Dir: He Shuming / Singapore / 2008 / 12min / English, Malay, Mandarin / Rating PG13 Some Mature Content)
- And the Wind Falls (Dir: He Shuming / Singapore / 2014 / 20min / English, Spanish / Rating PG13 Some Coarse Language)
He Shuming has written and directed several short films that have traveled in the film festival circuit, as well as commissioned projects for television and new media throughout Asia-Pacific. He graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honours) in Film from The Puttnam School of Film, LASALLE College of the Arts. Originally from the tropical island city of Singapore, Shuming currently resides in Los Angeles, where he received his MFA in Directing at the American Film Institute Conservatory. He is also a recipient of the Media Education Scheme (Film) Scholarship awarded by the Media Development Authority of Singapore. At the moment, he is developing short and feature projects, commuting between California and Singapore.
Marc Nair is a poet and photographer from Singapore. He has published six volumes of poetry and has also been featured in a number of anthologies. His latest book is Spomenik, a collection of poems and photographs from the Balkans. Marc has been part of the poetry slam scene in Singapore since 2003, and has represented Singapore competitively at international slam competitions. He was the 2015 Writer-In-Residence at Gardens by the Bay and has performed poetry in over 10 countries. He also writes songs and poems with his band, Neon and Wonder, and is the co-founder of Mackerel, a culture magazine.
• A fully refundable fee of $5 will be charged for each ticket booking. Register and turn up for the event. If you turn up, the booking fee will be refunded by Peatix electronically, otherwise, it will be forfeited.
• Seats are issued on a first-come-first-served basis (free seating arrangement).
• Registration will close on 25 May 2016, 6pm. Any cancellations must be made before the ticket cut-off date and time, otherwise your registration will be locked-in.
• The refund will be handled by the credit card company of the credit card used to purchase the tickets. The refund process will vary depending on the cut-off date of the credit card.
• Should the refund be done before the credit card cut-off date: The refund process will be handled in the current month so no money will be deducted for ticket payment. In most cases, both the ticket payment and the refund will appear separately on the credit card statement.
• Should the refund process be done after the credit card cut-off date: The payment of the ticket order will be processed. Peatix will refund the amount in the next month through a negative invoice.
Note: Peatix are unable to look up cut-off dates of credit cards. Peatix accepts VISA, MasterCard and AMEX.
LINKS TO OTHER NEW WAVES SESSIONS:
- NEW WAVES | GLADYS NG: CAPTURING THE EPHEMERAL
- NEW WAVES | TAN JINGLIANG: A PLACE IN DISPLACEMENT
- NEW WAVES | CHULAYARNNON SIRIPHOL: VANISHING MEMORIES - BETWEEN VIDEO ART AND CINEMA
- NEW WAVES | TRUONG MINH QUY: INTO THE FOREST
8:00 PM - 10:00 PM SGT
Free Seating (Refundable) $5.00
On sale until May 25, 2016, 6:00:00 PM
- Venue Address
- *SCAPE Gallery (Level 5), 2 Orchard Link, Singapore 237978 Singapore